Thursday 14 September 2017

Ral Partha Cleric


THIS evening's offering to the insatiable lead god is a Ral Partha Cleric, who first appeared in the 1982 catalogue amongst the pack  '98-001 Wizards and Clerics'. The range was sculpted by Tom Meier and Dennis Mize, although I am fairly certain our subject is from the hands of the late lamented Mr. Mize. By the '84 catalogue he was being listed singly as '10-305a Cleric'. Undoubtedly an awkward sculpt, with his great helm and scale shirt and strange, stiff pose; but he is nevertheless endearing in a fashion that only these early sculpts can be and has already become a staple of adventuring parties in my games! 


6 comments:

  1. More lovely work. I would have put this down as a Meier by the fall of the cloak, but I'm not too familiar with Dennis Mize's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be right, but the 'stiff' pose reminded me of Mize's style. Hopefully some more enlightened individual will come along and put us right!

      Delete
    2. I agree it's a Meier, by the folds but also by the overall line of balance of the figure made by the right leg to the side, and most of all by the hands. I am willing to wager those are Meier hands.

      Another very nice addition to your collection, nicely done all around. I haven't come across him in my own collecting but wouldn't mind doing so.

      Delete
    3. The mystery has been solved then! Thank you for your erudition in this matter, Ryder. And Mike, lucky for me we didn't have a wager on that.

      Delete
  2. Very nice paint job. I got that set back in the day but no idea where they've put themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. would there be a place to still get that miniature

    ReplyDelete